Friday 19 December 2014

Slated roof

I am feeling particularly creative today. One of my projects is still drying so I will show it tomorrow, but meanwhile I had some inspiration and started making a roof. Of course it will be long before I will need a roof, but as you may have noticed I like switching from project to project.

Some days ago I brought home an empty box of biscuits because I thought I might use the plastic for something, and I was too lazy to throw away the card box. We do not usually eat biscuits, but we had an end-of-term party for the students. I did use the plastic to make some plates:


I was about to throw away the box into the blue recycling bin when I realised that I had a much better recycling idea. Here is what I did:


This is just one flap of the box. From it, I cut three strips. Then I cut about half a centimeter along the pencil lines and curved the corners. I now had three strips of roof slates.

 

These were very easy to glue direct onto the roof, overlapping each row with half a slate. At least, much easier and quicker than doing it slate by slate, as I did with my Tudor house. And considerably cheaper.


When I have finished the roof - I will need about twenty times as many strips, so I will have to get another box of biscuits - and painted it, it will look gorgeous.

I wish I could say that it was my own invention, but I must admit that it isn't, it comes from Jean Nisbett's indispensable book A Beginner's Guide to the Dolls' House Hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment