Monday 4 May 2015

Great stairs

I don't even want to go back to the picture of the great staircase covered with adhesive shelf lining! Over and done with. Instead I will make steps like I did with the other stairs. Now that I know how to.

I wish things were simple. I had forgotten that I had glued the effing lining because although it is called self-adhesive it never, ever stays stuck. And as every miniaturist knows through bitter experience, stain won't cover glue. So when I stained the vertical parts of the steps they became patchy.


Well, there is not much I can do about it short of buying new stairs, which is not an option. 

As it turned out, together with the wooden steps it looked even more natural than on the other stairs. Lesson learned: if you want wood effect on MDF, cover it with patchy glue before staining.


Now that it looks so grand I am not sure I am happy with the floor. It's too conspicuous. I may move it elsewhere and make a more discreet floor. Or maybe not.

I have another problem. The two lowest steps are too large to be covered by a craft stick. And shelf lining is not good enough any more.


This is a tricky one, but I know I will figure it out eventually. Maybe I will cover them with patches of glue and then stain. Right now I am admiring my work.


And with the small stairs from the landing it looks like this:




2 comments:

  1. The transformation of the stairs is brilliant. I think you are being too hard on yourself about the floor, I love it as it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I will let it as it is for a while to see whether I can live with it. Or perhaps move it to another room.

    ReplyDelete