Friday 24 October 2014

Basement

My basement has arrived! Just six months after the initial estimated date. But never mind, it's here. However, the enclosed assembly instructions helpfully say:


As with the main house, I have figured out most of the construction, but not quite, because indeed not even the parts list is accurate. My first attempt was definitely wrong as I ended up with a narrow corridor without access.


It baffled me, and I tried to move walls around, which proved fruitful:


This basement is different from the one in the original kit - whether it is an improvement or not I cannot say. Even if the corridor has a door from the kitchen it is still a very strange space. Can it be a walk-in larder? In the original design, there was one central hall and no rear partition. I like the partition because it adds this mysterious space that won't be visible - I will put some lights in there. But I may take away the middle wall altogether.


I have planned the basement to fit the original design. I wanted to have the kitchen on the right and a scullery on the left, with storage, laundry and so on. I planned to have a lower entrance hall where deliveries would come for the kitchen. It doesn't look the proper design for this plan so I will have to play and test. I am reading a book set in the seventeenth century, and the rich house has a "best kitchen" and a "working kitchen". I have seen this in manor houses: the best kitchen is for display. Perhaps this is what I will do. One kitchen will be just for the collection of copper objects, and I may add china and other things to show off wealth.

Meanwhile, I have another large priming job in front of me.

5 comments:

  1. Hello. I am in the processing of dry fitting the basement - did you find your outside steps were too lobg? Mine appear to be about 2 steps too long to fit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frankly, I don't remember, it was such a long time ago, and I do remember I had zillions of problems with the stairs. Please read further in my blog, maybe you will find the answer.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I will! I have also email the manufacturer, because I have no hinges, qoining for around the archway or handrail in the box!!

      Delete
    3. If it's the same manufacturer I had to chase them again and again for missing parts. I did get everything eventually

      Delete
  2. Just had an automatic reply - I might be out of luck as they are selling the company

    ReplyDelete