Saturday 20 December 2014

Corridor floor

So far, the only room I haven't even started considering properly is the front corridor, with stairs leading to the attic. There is not much you can do in this room, and initially I even thought about getting rid of the partition. But it's there now, and I will perhaps have pictures on the wall. I hadn't planned any fancy floor until I started looking up Victorian floor patterns for other rooms and found something I could test in a smaller area.


 

It is not perfect: the pattern is not strictly repeated. I haven't yet sanded or varnished. Essentially, I just wanted to see whether I could do it, and obviously I can, with some more training and patience. I used two different stains: mahogny and dark oak, and I stained before cutting and gluing. This area took me about four hours. So if I decide to make a really elaborate parquet for the reception room or dining room, I know that it's just a matter of time.


No comments:

Post a Comment