Friday 22 May 2015

More Hepplewhite tables

Inspired by the success of my Chippendale desk, I decided to make some more pieces. I made a beautiful Hepplewhite dining table a while ago so this time it felt less intimidating. These two lovely tables were quite straightforward to make.

 

The round table is not particularly remarkable, but what I did with it was stain the surface repeatedly - about ten coats - to make it really dark. The introduction says these tables were often made with different kinds of wood, but I wasn't sure how it would work and couldn't afford to make mistakes.

The table is preliminarily placed in the music room.


 

I will probably serve fruit on it. The problem with tables is that, on the one hand, it's natural to have a table cloth, but on the other hand, I want the surface to be visible.

Another problem is that with this delicate table, the chairs that I have now feel far too crude. I don't remember where these chairs come from, but they have been around for a long time.



 

I have a chair that fits better; maybe it even is a Hepplewhite chair or very similar, but I guess I will have to buy a couple more.

 

The corner table is a very interesting and rare piece. This is the first and only time I have seen it on ebay. It is slightly higher than a regular table, and the introduction suggests that it was used as a serving table or maybe a wash stand. If the manufacturers don't know, how would I know? I will use it as a decorative table in the grand hall. It has a pretty marble top, and I will put some ornament on it.

 

The floor in the grand hall is not finished, and the stair rail is still white-tacked. I start feeling I would like to move on, but I need to complete some other things first. 



No comments:

Post a Comment